Added May 28, 2012
I used the fabulous “Hazel” from the lovely pattern company “Victory Patterns” – as soon as I discovered this pattern I fell in love with it.
I had gotten the grey print fabric from the “bargain bin” at a local Spotlight (Aussies will know what I’m talking about – I guess in USA it would be a JoAnns) for $3.00 a metre. I had it in my stash for a while deciding what to do with it. Here was my answer.
The print was beautiful but a nightmare to match (it’s asymmetrical) and after much hand-holding from my friends over at http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/ (thanks Lovelies!) I finally took the plunge and did an “approximation” of pattern matching. I was a bit peeved that one side on the front bodice was a bit “sparse” with the print – but it was the best I could do to get the print to match.
I added length to the sleeves (it’s winter here and I wanted to wear it now – albeit with “thermals” underneath) and to the skirt. I also (bit naughty) put some little darts on the back which means I have to kind of slither into this dress like a snake. I like how it turned out. I probably didn’t really need the darts, the style of this dress is very “shift” which I need to get used to. I must say I THOUROUGLY recommend Victory Patterns – the creator, Kristiann, is a real doll. Support independent pattern companies!
I wish I had gotten a photo at the beginning of the day sans creases rather than at the end. Oh well – that’s cotton for you!
Cotton voile, poly lining.
- Victory Patterns