White pleated skirt
Added Jun 7, 2010
May was a good sewing month for me! First I made this white skirt. I had two old, big, embroidered pillow cases, and I liked the pleats of the 103 skirt in the 2/2010 Burda, so I thought it would be nice to combine them. It was easy and I like how the front embroidery peeks out, when I move in the skirt.
I didn’t want to make it long, I usually feel better in knee-long skirts, so I shortened it. Unfortunately the size I choose turned out very wide, so I took the skirt in at the sides – at the first trial at least, but forgot to take in at the end. What a stupid thing, now I can’t get myself to do it again… maybe I’ll add a belt to hold it in place and hide the mistake. Now it sits rather at my low waist, then at my waist. I had to modify slightly the position of the pleats, because they pointed outwards. I thought, this was because of my tummy. Now I know that I had to sew down the pleats, so they probably wouldn’t pucker at their original position, but it wasn’t clear for me by sewing it.
I had only a shorter, non invisible zipper, but it was OK, too. By adding it I used the centered zipper technic. I’m actually pride of how my first zipper turned out. As additional design element I added flat piping (folded bias tape, without cord) at the waist and bias binding at the bottom instead of a hem, for these I used a nice floral cotton I got from my husband to my birthday in January. For the lining I used a plain white lining silk.
Now, despite the width, I like this skirt, I like how it moves on me, and I can imagine to sew it again of a heavier fabric to turn it into a more elegant piece.
white embroidered pillow cases, floral cotton, lining silk