Added Apr 13, 2013
I do enjoy a good wax print.
This peplum top is a Frankenpattern that I created from the bodice of a favorite vintage pattern, Vogue 5842, and the peplum of Vogue 8815. This fusion turned out to be fairly straightforward; I simply ensured that the circumference at the bottom of the bodice was the same as the circumference at the top of the peplum. I made life a bit more complicated (it is my way) by adding black piping and geometric shapes topstitched to the sides. I blame Pabral Gurung’s Spring 2012 show for this decision. Not much fun to line those shapes up. I’ll leave it at that.
Naturally, a lime green peplum is never enough and I constructed a matching skirt from Burdastyle skirt pattern 107 in the 2/2011 magazine. The skirt pattern is most recognizable from the back. Originally I added seams to the front of the skirt where the darts were placed so that I could add contrasting panels at the sides. In the end I scrapped this idea and left the front seams which are accented with piping.
Burdastyle 107 2/2011
2 ½ yards wax print cotton
½ yard black cotton
½ yard interfacin
1 yard lining
Hook and eye
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.