VintageModern Design Challenge - Flower Button Trench Topper
Added Mar 12, 2012
I decided to take on the Indygo Junction Trench Topper for this challenge. It’s my first coat so it definitely took me out of my comfort zone. When I finished the muslin, I thought, “Wow, it actually looks like a coat!”
I made a few changes to the pattern. I rounded the collar, added front seam pockets with flaps, and used snaps with handmade decorative flower buttons for the front closure. I also embellished the coat with piping and bias tape in a contrasting color. I used a BurdaStyle tutorial for adding the in-seam pockets and they went in easily. I had to draft a couple versions of the collar to get what I wanted, and I may try rounding it even more for my next coat. I tried a Peggy Sayers technique for easing the sleeves into the coat that I saw on It’s Sew Easy and I used a tutorial from Coletterie for adding the piping. My inspiration for the flower buttons came from a coat I ogled in a recent Boden catalog and I had a lot of fun reverse engineering them from the picture.
I really love this design and I already have my next coat planned (paisley corduroy from my stash, orange piping, and a lilac lining). The pattern instructions were certainly helpful for a coat novice and the design and fit are flattering. Fitting the garment to my size was easy with all the seams (side, front, back). Go Indygo Junction! This is the first pattern I’ve completed from Indygo Junction and I loved it.
I used a heavy-weight brushed twill fabric that I found in a thrift store ($2.50 for 3.5 yards – can’t beat that!). The piping and bias tape are store-bought. I made the flower buttons and stitched them on top of the snap closures. The photos were taken by my friend Susan C – thank you!
- adding in-seam pockets
- adding piping at seam
- sleeve easing with tie interfacing