Added Mar 5, 2012
VintageModern Design Challenge
I’ve so much enjoyed creating this apron for the VintageModern Design Challenge. When I saw Amy Barickman’s book, Vintage Notions, I knew I would love looking through it and choosing just the right pattern. Making a pattern using only the measurements given in a Magic Pattern and altering it here and there, was so much fun and has given me a much needed respite from an unusually stressful year.
My “Flour Garden Apron” for the VintageModern Design Challenge, is designed from a Magic Pattern in Amy Barickman’s book, Vintage Notions. I constructed and cut the pattern using the “Comfortable/Economic Apron“ (1926) pattern (pp. 172-173). Then I altered it to suit my more modern preferences.
Though the body of the apron is cut according to the book’s pattern measurements, I cut 2 apron bodies instead of one for my unique design purposes. Rather than a single neck strap, I made two separate longer ties and waist sashes in order to make the apron more adjustable and versatile toward fitting a larger range of sizes and wearing preferences for today’s modern woman. The apron can be worn long to cover dresses or raised with the sashes for wear with jeans or shorts.
The apron panels, straps and pocket are all constructed of coordinating 100% cotton print quilt fabrics, maintaining a vintage feel. For the Apron’s theme, I used, “Cupcakery Sponged Stripe Brown/Beige (Body), Cupcakery Sponged Dots Brown (Pocket & Straps) and Sakura Floral Black (Applique Border) tossing in a flower garden for a bit of whimsy.
Though my construction of this apron gives the appearance around its edges, of it having been lined, the “lining” fabric is actually the main body of the apron. The coordinating fabric edging the apron was reverse appliqud (by reversing the fabrics) with free motion stitching, following the design in the fabric, rather than using a conventional border appliqu design. Cutting away the bulk of the repositioned fore fabric, the edges were then trimmed and left raw to become soft frayed edges both for a dimensional look and to maintain the natural comfort of the apron when worn.
Because of the added bulk of the extra layer of fabric at the sides, instead of the directed gathering in the book’s instructions, I opted for using pleats instead, accenting them with coordinating vintage pink satin ribbon to include the pleats as part of the design rather than being merely functional.
The pocket was made square and treated in the same manner as the body of the apron, placed right of front, one corner turned down for interest.
Two matching vintage mother of pearl buttons were used at either side accenting the satin ribbon and 3 different matching vintage buttons used to accent the pocket and front of the straps at the bodice.
The apron panels, straps and pocket are all constructed of coordinating 100% cotton print quilt fabrics: “Cupcakery Sponged Stripe Brown/Beige (Body), Cupcakery Sponged Dots Brown (Pocket & Straps) and Sakura Floral Black (Applique Border)
Satin Ribbon to accent the side pleats stitched with rayon embroidery thread.
Vintage Buttons for accent.
Free Motion/Darning Foot for your sewing machine.
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.