Vintage Simplicity 9907 (with alterations)
Added Jan 18, 2013
Newcastle Upon T...
I decided that I’d have a go at making a dress based on this pattern with some fabric that I got from a charity shop for £2. However I wanted to change the neckline somewhat.
I saw this dress, worn by Nigella in her last series and really liked the collar detail. So I decided to draft a new neckline and collar and add contrast cuffs as well. The dress is longer than it appears on the pattern envelope and even after shortening it’s still a bit longer. I’ve also kept the more A line skirt shape as I know it suits me and it’s easier for work.
I measured the pattern pieces and made alterations to the sizing, the hips were fine as i’m a pear shape, but I removed 1cm off each side seam (4cm) total, and increased the waist dart widths by 1cm each side, tapering to the original dart at the hip and in a bit at the bust. the bust dart was OK.
I traced the pattern pieces and made a new neckline and with the help of my pattern book. I drafted the collar.
It’s taken me quite a while to make the dress, mainly because I decided part way through making that I needed a lining, and the time it took to make the alterations to the pattern. I didn’t really follow the pattern instructions as I’ve made a few dresses now. I am quite proud of the collar, it rolls nicely and sits well. I think I will catch it to the dress at the back as it gets caught up when i put my jacket on.
Mixed fibre woven