Added Jan 18, 2013
Newcastle Upon T...
I decided that I’d have a go at making a dress based on this pattern with some fabric that I got from a charity shop for £2. However I wanted to change the neckline somewhat.
I saw this dress, worn by Nigella in her last series and really liked the collar detail. So I decided to draft a new neckline and collar and add contrast cuffs as well. The dress is longer than it appears on the pattern envelope and even after shortening it’s still a bit longer. I’ve also kept the more A line skirt shape as I know it suits me and it’s easier for work.
I measured the pattern pieces and made alterations to the sizing, the hips were fine as i’m a pear shape, but I removed 1cm off each side seam (4cm) total, and increased the waist dart widths by 1cm each side, tapering to the original dart at the hip and in a bit at the bust. the bust dart was OK.
I traced the pattern pieces and made a new neckline and with the help of my pattern book. I drafted the collar.
It’s taken me quite a while to make the dress, mainly because I decided part way through making that I needed a lining, and the time it took to make the alterations to the pattern. I didn’t really follow the pattern instructions as I’ve made a few dresses now. I am quite proud of the collar, it rolls nicely and sits well. I think I will catch it to the dress at the back as it gets caught up when i put my jacket on.
Mixed fibre woven
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.