Added Feb 13, 2008
Dress created from the Lydia tshirt pattern.Lydia Tshirt Modifications: I was inspired by a cute top I spotted in the Anthropologie catalog. The shirring along the neckline really caught my eye! I decided to convert the Lydia tshirt into a loose-fit dress; something that I could just toss on and not really have to think about. I chose a pretty, lightweight (and very drapey!) red jersey to make it up in. I referenced the instructions for turning the pattern into a v-neck dress; mostly for making sure I was extending the length of the pattern correctly. I based the length off of one of my favorite dresses (a cute, cotton Libertine for Target frock). I followed the directions for lengthening the pattern, and then struck out on my own for the remainder of the changes. The neckline is scooped out quite a bit; I didn’t measure how deep I cut—I just eyeballed it knowing what I am comfortable wearing. The center front edge I extended 3 1/2” out, to allow for the shirring. The back I also scooped the neckline, making sure I cute the shoulder to match the adjusted front shoulder. I measured in 2” from the center back edge, and slashed the pattern completely down the length, and spread 2”. While you could just add the additional measurement onto the CB, I felt that it would be best to spread the extra material along the neckline. After I made these changes, I made sure I smoothed all the curves. To do the shirring, (it looks like the gathering before doing English style smocking), I ran five rows of gathering stitches along the front edge. I started these approximately 5” from the CF, and spaced them roughly 3/8” – 1/2” apart. You could do more rows of smocking if you’d like (next time I want to try 7-11 rows of gathers). I gathered up all the threads at once, pulling the fabric up to about 5” of shirring. I pulled the top threads to the wrong side of the fabric and tied each off securely. I repeated these steps for the two rows of back shirring. For the neckline binding, I followed the instructions given in an article (http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00218.asp) from Threads magazine (Oct./Nov. 2007 issue). I cut two long strips of the jersey on the bias, stitched each piece to the front and back necklines (right sides together). After that I stitched the shoulder seams together, continuing the line of stitching along the bias-binding seams at the shoulder (I also stabilized the dress shoulder seams with a small strip of lightweight, mesh lace). I graded the neckline/binding seam to 1/4” all around, turned the binding to the inside, pinned along the “ditch” (seam) on the right side, and stitched-in-the-ditch along the right side. I then trimmed the excess binding along the wrong side. The sleeves were hemmed, and then flat-set into the armholes prior to sewing the side seams. This allowed for greater control over the ease of the sleeve cap, and I just stretched the armhole and cap as I stitched over areas where there was more cap fabric than armhole. I then pinned the side seams, including the sleeves, together and stitched. Trimmed the seam, and turned the hem up and did a double row of stitching. It was a really easy project; taking about 4 hours to complete (not including cutting time; I tend to be very slow and methodical when cutting stretch knits!). I think it would have gone faster had I not adjusted several design features as I went along (so I ended up taking out a few things). There are lots of variations you could do with this basic idea—my head is already swimming with possibilities! I want to try doing some decorative smocking stitches along the shirring on the front; perhaps in a contrasting color. The sleeves could be shortened, made to puffed cap-sleeves, bell sleeves, etc. Different fabric colors or patterns could be combined (I’m dreaming up a solid/pattern combination!). I really love the easy wearability of this dress; I just “test drove” it, and have to say it is the nicest dress I’ve ever worn! I basically “forgot” about it, since there was nothing to make sure stayed put, cinched or didn’t cling! lol.
If anyone is interested, I’d be happy to do a photo tutorial on how to do the shirring on jersey!!
lightweight red jersey (blend); purchased on the sale table.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
Sip cocktails by the fire in faux fur, patterned silks, and more luxurious fabrics.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.