Added Jun 1, 2011
Utilising some fine furnishing upholstery fabric samples (purchased from a recycle centre for $1), I’ve made a patchwork dress.
It has taken me the best part of a week to complete. I used a pattern I have from my collection; New Look 6577.
There was not enough samples to complete a full dress. I thought I might have to buy (thrift) some fabric to match the upholstery samples, but instead, used what I already had; a pale pink fabric for the back of my dress, a light blue fabric for lining (although in photos actually looks lilac), and a reclaimed zip. This is the first time I have fully lined a dress, completed by trial and (a few) errors.
I used leftover cut away patches to sew a fabric flower, backed with eco-fi felt, and hair grips, so that I can either wear it in my hair, or on a band around my waist. I chose a white silk scarf to tie around my waist as a belt, as I felt it looked a little plain without anything.
Upholstery furnishing fabric samples, thrifted material, reclaimed zip, thrifted sewing pattern
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.