Added Nov 7, 2013
I made these last spring, based on Burdastyle Empire Dress 8/2012 #102 (can’t make the “Based On” link work, sorry!), but with major changes to the skirt.
I don’t wear fitted skirts because I have wide hips and I don’t feel comfortable in them. So I changed the pattern to an a-line skirt with 6 panels, making the front and back darts into pattern lines (see diagram).
The first dress is made of beige jersey as a lining, with black stretchy lace overlay. I trimmed the sleeves and the neckline with cotton bias tape and used a black double knit jersey for the small side pannels, as I felt this detail would be slimming. All seams were sewn using a serger.
The second dress was made with fabric repurposed from a stretch velvet gown I made years ago and wore only once. The top is lined with black jersey.
On both dresses, I left out the zipper and the shoulder pads, I felt they were unnecessary.
Although I hate sewing stretchy fabrics – rather my machine hates stretchy fabrics – I’m very happy with these, they’re very comfortable and easy to wear :)
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.