Two versions of the Empire Dress 8/2012 #102
Added Nov 7, 2013
I made these last spring, based on Burdastyle Empire Dress 8/2012 #102 (can’t make the “Based On” link work, sorry!), but with major changes to the skirt.
I don’t wear fitted skirts because I have wide hips and I don’t feel comfortable in them. So I changed the pattern to an a-line skirt with 6 panels, making the front and back darts into pattern lines (see diagram).
The first dress is made of beige jersey as a lining, with black stretchy lace overlay. I trimmed the sleeves and the neckline with cotton bias tape and used a black double knit jersey for the small side pannels, as I felt this detail would be slimming. All seams were sewn using a serger.
The second dress was made with fabric repurposed from a stretch velvet gown I made years ago and wore only once. The top is lined with black jersey.
On both dresses, I left out the zipper and the shoulder pads, I felt they were unnecessary.
Although I hate sewing stretchy fabrics – rather my machine hates stretchy fabrics – I’m very happy with these, they’re very comfortable and easy to wear :)