Added Nov 7, 2013
I made these last spring, based on Burdastyle Empire Dress 8/2012 #102 (can’t make the “Based On” link work, sorry!), but with major changes to the skirt.
I don’t wear fitted skirts because I have wide hips and I don’t feel comfortable in them. So I changed the pattern to an a-line skirt with 6 panels, making the front and back darts into pattern lines (see diagram).
The first dress is made of beige jersey as a lining, with black stretchy lace overlay. I trimmed the sleeves and the neckline with cotton bias tape and used a black double knit jersey for the small side pannels, as I felt this detail would be slimming. All seams were sewn using a serger.
The second dress was made with fabric repurposed from a stretch velvet gown I made years ago and wore only once. The top is lined with black jersey.
On both dresses, I left out the zipper and the shoulder pads, I felt they were unnecessary.
Although I hate sewing stretchy fabrics – rather my machine hates stretchy fabrics – I’m very happy with these, they’re very comfortable and easy to wear :)
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.