Added Nov 7, 2013
I made these dresses a couple of years ago. Although they were made from the same pattern, I think they have a very different feel. The main change I made to the pattern, was to tweak the front and back bottom pannels to fit my hips.
The black dress was made from repurposed fabric from an old gown that was once deeply loved, but just wasn’t my style anymore. So instead of leaving it to rot in the back of my closet, I decided to chop it up and give it a new life. It’s made from a heavy satin. I had a very limited amount of fabric to work with so I had to shorten the skirt. I changed the neckline by reducing the straps and trimming it with a black and white vichy cotton bias tape, that closes on the shoulders with a bow.
For the second dress, I used a heavy army-green satin, trimmed with a wide lace at the neckline, front and back.
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.