Added Nov 7, 2013
I made these dresses a couple of years ago. Although they were made from the same pattern, I think they have a very different feel. The main change I made to the pattern, was to tweak the front and back bottom pannels to fit my hips.
The black dress was made from repurposed fabric from an old gown that was once deeply loved, but just wasn’t my style anymore. So instead of leaving it to rot in the back of my closet, I decided to chop it up and give it a new life. It’s made from a heavy satin. I had a very limited amount of fabric to work with so I had to shorten the skirt. I changed the neckline by reducing the straps and trimming it with a black and white vichy cotton bias tape, that closes on the shoulders with a bow.
For the second dress, I used a heavy army-green satin, trimmed with a wide lace at the neckline, front and back.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.