Added Mar 29, 2013
I loved the look of this dress when I saw it in Burda (Dec 2010) and was determined to make it, but oh what fun I’ve had with it (not!!!).
I made the dark green version first using a moleskin type fabric, lovely and suedey feel on one side and semi shiny on the reverse, but crikey, how much ease was added is ridiculous, it felt like walking around in a duvet cover – completely shapeless and enormous! Anyway it sat unloved and unworn in my wardrobe as I didn’t have the heart to throw it out but I thought I’d give the pattern another go when I found the silver fabric while hunting for something else in a local fabric shop and set to work measuring myself properly and attempting to adjust the pattern.
Then I hit on the bright idea of using the green dress as a guide instead and put tucks in the vertical seams until it fitted comfortably and copied the difference to the pattern pieces with the result that now I love the green one and it fits perfectly as I just topstitched the tucks in place but something got lost in translation with the silver one and the sleeves leave almost no room for movement :-( I’m guessing I’m gonna end up cutting them off or just giving the whole thing to my sister again.
I think I should have kept the horizontal seam on the front panel piece of the silver dress too. I thought it would look better without, but I was wrong.
Such a shame as the pattern looks like it should be so easy to make and look gorgeous made up but I ended up so frustrated with it.
They’re synthetic fabrics of some kind or another
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.