Added Jun 18, 2010
By request, I searched for a refashion frock at the Salvation Army last week. The survey I conducted a month ago indicated that many of you would like to see more refashion frocks. I have to admit, I like these because often they are less work.
Around New Year’s I had been seeing many party dresses with tulle on the outside of the skirt rather than underneath and wanted to recreate something like that.
When I looked through the Salvation Army racks I searched for a dress with a little glamour in the fabric, something the said “party”. I came across the dress (at bottom).
The material was a shimmery silver but the cut of the dress was hideous. Perfect for refashioning. It was a matronly faux two piece with no form except for the two spaghetti straps on the sides which pulled the waist to fit the person wearing it.
I bought it for $1.50 and took it home to think it over. I definitely wanted to try and go for the topside tulle look. So I went to the fabric store and bought 3 yards of gray tulle for only 30 cents a yard. What I loved about the tulle I bought was that I didn’t even need to cut it. The length and width were already the perfect size I needed. All I need to do was gather it.
I laid the dress on floor and stared at it for some time. The skirt was so straight that it was very difficult to get an a-line out of it despite the fact that it was quite large.
I cut the top piece away from the bottom and then cut the bottom into two side-by-side triangles that made a rectangle using as much of the skirt material as possible.
I then pinned the pieces to my dress form but still came up a little short of an a-line on either side. So I cut out two more smaller triangles from my leftover skirt and filled in the gaps to make a perfect a-line.
I then sewed the gathered tulle to the skirt and the combination of those two pieces to the waistband. I had to take the top in on the sides. After I did that I sewed the top of the waistband to the bodice.
Finally I cut a ballerina neckline into the top and hemmed the skirt and sewed in a zipper. VOILA! A new dress!! Chan looks ready for a New Year’s Eve Soiree.
I really liked how the tulle filled out the look of the skirt. I wanted a full a-line. The skirt underneath was not quite as full as I would have liked but with the overlaying tulle the look was exactly what I was going for.
All together I spent $2.50 on this dress. Not bad. See a similar one on Modcloth here
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.