NEW BurdaStyle
Best of Blogging List!

Subscribe to our FREE digital newsletter and
receive the new Top 50 Bloggers List for
sewing, fashion and craft enthusiasts!

Tulip skirt project

Added Apr 4, 2011

by thao

Montreal, Canada






That is my first project that I managed to finish. I am a novice and I feel I need to improve in some areas, especially in the finishing. I am a little bit messy.

This is actually my muslin that I decided to finish because the actual skirt is in the trash bin (I hated the fabric and I made a mistake that I didn’t want to fix… too complicated)

I used the Marie pattern but made some modifications on it:
- I shortened the length of the skirt: removed 2.5 cm.
- I kept the front as the original pattern but at the back I inverted the pleats.
- I put an invisible zipper at the back instead on the sides.
- I added inseams pockets.
- I added 2.5 cm to the waistband.

Material Notes

Cotton that is usually used for shirting. I’ve underlined it with Bemberg lining.


Garment Type

3 Comments Sign in to add a post

  • Img_7964_large

    Apr 4, 2011, 06.00 PMby simplyb

    Give it time, as you keep sewing more you’ll figure out how to finish and tidy things up a bit. I think you did a smashing job, it looks wonderful on you.

    1 Reply
    • Burda_avatar_large

      Apr 4, 2011, 07.54 PMby thao

      Thanks, that’s motivating :)

  • Missing

    Apr 4, 2011, 03.47 PMby jdp136

    super cute! looks great!

    1 Reply
    • Burda_avatar_large

      Apr 4, 2011, 07.52 PMby thao

      Thank you!

  • Avatar3_large

    Apr 4, 2011, 03.45 PMby carottesauvage

    Cool and congrats for completing this project! great styling

    1 Reply
    • Burda_avatar_large

      Apr 4, 2011, 07.52 PMby thao

      Thanks! I must have done at least 3 muslins, before getting there. But I want to do it again.

    • This is a question
  1. Sign in to add a post

Add to Favorites 13 people added it

This project is based on