Tulip Lover's Dress
Added Feb 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Ze...
I was shopping with a friend last weekend, and I tried on one dress which although I thought was really neat, it happened to be too see-through for my liking (considering it was a summer dress and I’d have to wear a petticoat underneath) and I wasn’t prepared to pay the price for something which was so simple in design (I’m a student, I’m allowed to be cheap…). So I’ve instead set out to make my own version!
I drafted the pattern from scratch but with the guidance of an old Burda Style from 1982 that had a similar pattern, which I used to work out the ratio of how much material I would need to create the gathering I wanted.
To get around my see-through problem, I simply made the dress two layers of chiffon and made them different lengths to give it a bit of detail (also to hide my underwear). The frill then makes it three layers thick on the top so there would be no way of seeing my bra at all. Successfully solving the problem I had with the original dress!
(Just a note, on the picture I stealthily took in the dressing room as a guide, I have Photoshopped out my underwear)
I’ve been holding on to some peachy-orange chiffon that I was going to make some costumes out of (the same production that I didn’t need this material and ended up making my blue evening dress (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/blue-evening-dress) but didn’t end up using.