Added Jun 29, 2009
Brooklyn, New Yo...
Burda WOF 3/2009 Pattern 101B
This was my first time using a Burda WOF pattern. In spite of the pithy instructions I liked the process & experience. I love that I can retrace the pattern if I want and liked the instructions were on one page. One thing I did wish for was a diagram when the english translation confused me a bit.
I made french seams for the side seams. I don’t have a serger so I had to use a small 3 step zigzag for the placket facing edges.
**The pattern did not say to only interface one set of collar/placket pieces, so I interfaced both. I think that was probably unnecessary and I hope the interfacing will soften after I wash it.
I didn’t hem the bottom because the selvage was right there… call me lazy, but I didn’t want to fight the fabric. I made bias strips from the yellow batiste to finish the sleeve holes with a bit of stability.
On the fabric; I was looking for an all over yellow print in silk crepe chiffon, but this one way print caught my eye. the bottom of the print ran down both selvage edges and it is very soft, smooth and just translucent enough. The thinness of the fabric did pose some problems and I was constantly running test swatches depending on the number of layers of fabric. The hardest part to get the proper tension was on the top stitching.
Directional Tulip print Cotton/Silk Batiste from Mood, NYC $14/yard.
Yellow Cotton Batiste (can’t remember the price but was at least $8/yrd) – also Mood NYC.