Added May 27, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds...
This garmet is so-named for two reasons: I made it as I was watching Time Team, and because it’s only fit for burial.
I used a 1967 Butterick pattern (4348) which looked deceptively simple. When I tried on the finished garment, I found that the size was all wrong and that the unusual empire line of the waist made joining the pattern pieces incredibly difficult.
I don’t like the fit of the dress at all, and though the ribbon at the waist goes some way towards compensating for the dress being too big, it doesn’t do enough to make me want to wear this out and about.
On the plus side, I’m taking this as part of a learning curve – it’s my first dress and I’ve learned a lot that I’ll take over to my next project. Another plus point is that the materials hardly cost me anything. This revoltingly kitch green fabric (which I love) was only £1 from a charity shop, whilst the white of the top and the lace sleeves were offcuts from my friend’s wedding dress.
For the forseeable future though, I’ll be sticking to retro patterns which say “easy sew”.
Misti’s wedding dress train – lace and white synthetic
Funny green cotton stuff
Check out these festive sewing patterns just in time for Oktoberfest
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.