Added Aug 15, 2011
I used a thrifted man’s shirt to make my first version of the Sorbetto top from Colette patterns, which will certainly not be the last as it is soooo easy to put together, and such a great base for many alterations!
I made a few adjustments:
I cut a size 0, but used the length of size 18. I managed to position the pieces so that I could keep the shirt’s bottom hem as it was.
I recut the armholes along the size 6 line as 0 was a bit tight and I also shortened the darts by about 1 inch (I probably could have used lower darts too).
I also decided to add a couple details: a Peter Pan collar, self-drafted and attached with the help of Gertie’s and Laurie’s tutorials, and a cute little pocket on the left chest. I basically used the pocket piece from the shirt, cut it to a ¼ of its original size and reproduced the edging at the top.
I used baby blue bias tape to finish the armholes and neckline, and sewed French seams for the sides and shoulders.
Overall I’m very happy with the result. I think it makes for a cute summer top and it was a great opportunity to learn new techniques.
I wore it for the first time on a trip to San Francisco, with my denim mini-skirt, a RTW navy jersey blazer and dark blue leggings. I quite like this look.
more photos and details on my blog
100% Cotton, made in Canada man’s shirt
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Princess Seam Top, and see how she made it into a dress!
Member Project of the Week
Kelerabeus modified our Wool Shorts pattern with adorable scalloped edges.
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our edgy, asymmetrical, paneled dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.