The Tank Dress
Added Aug 10, 2011
by Amanda Flynn
So, ever since Royal Wedding Fever struck the world, I’ve been a little bit obsessed with Kate Middleton’s fashion choices. I love her ladylike style, how she actually wears her outfits more than once, and the fact that not every item she chooses is a designer piece worth thousands of dollars. I especially love all her dresses (the classic sheath is just delicious). Oh yeah, and the nude pumps she wore all through Canada. Want those. :) / This dress was inspired partly by my newfound passion for those one-piece ensembles (I’ve been wearing separates way too much for the past four years or so) and also by one of my favorite summer items – the tank top. When there’s no air-conditioning and the temperature is in the upper nineties, with 100% humidity that makes it feel like one hundred and fifteen (only a slight exaggeration), pretty much the only thing I can stand to wear is shorts and a tank top. Sooo… I decided to take that favorite piece and expand it into something just as comfy and versatile – a tank dress. / Overall, I am pleased with how it came out. The dress is a tad tighter than I’d like and it’s further emphasized by the thin, clinginess of the fabric, but I know that when I try this again I’ll just cut more generously and use a heavier knit. In an amazing color, of course. / This was definitely a fun experiment and the end result feels very ready for tea with The Queen. ;) I can’t wait to try this out with some layers when fall rolls around. Cardigans, jackets and et cetera. Mmm…
This fabric was given to me in a bag of vintage textiles (which included the fabric for my 70s-inspired skirt) and I decided it would be perfect for a test run of my idea. The color isn’t my best (it actually looks kind of green in these photos, but it’s much more grey/blue) which meant I wouldn’t be devastated if it didn’t turn out the way I hoped. I took one of my tanks, folded it in half and placed it on the crease of the fabric. Using that as a very rough guide, I cut out the dress. I was kind of freaked out because I don’t think I’ve ever tried something so completely pattern-free, but I figured the knit would be forgiving. / It was. I sewed the dress together at the sides, hemmed it up and bound the neck and arm holes with bias cut from the leftover fabric. The “belt” is simply the excess fabric I cut from the hemline.