Added Apr 13, 2013
by Byanka Ayala
Moreno Valley, C...
I made this dress for my niece’s princess costume party. It took me about a month to finish the dress due the remodeling that was happening around the house. Since i was rushing myself in the end I made a few mistakes with the interfacing and was just glad i bought a little extra than required. It was my first time working with piping and interfacing. The pattern i used is Simplicity 2813. The pattern suggested to used Gabardine or Broadcloth but instead i used Costume Glitter Satin for the bodice, dress and cape and used Costume Satin for the sleeves because Joanns had ran out of the Glitter Satin. The only other thing i changed was making the skirt shorter than what the pattern called for. If anyone is going to make this dress i suggest NOT using the heavyweight interfacing the patten suggest for the collar because it will not do the job in holding up the collar, you can see why in the picture. I instead had to re-due the collar and used the 70 Peltex Ultra Firm which worked much better.
Interfacing- Paper backed fusing paper for the appliques, lightwieght fussible for the sleeves and neck, 70 Peltex ultra firm for the collar.
22" zipper, hooks and eyes, 3/4" wide velcro (to attach the collar to the dress), cord for piping
Bodice lining and collar in broadcloth
Costume Glitter Satin for bodice, dress, cape and appliques
Costume Satin for sleeves
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
Sewing & Techniques
Learn how to use your bodice sloper to draft this popular collar style
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.