The remnant challenge
Added Jun 19, 2011
A friend of mine ran a sustainable design competition recently and I entered this dress.
I set myself the challenge of making a dress with a remnant that was just over 1 metre. I think this fabric has been sitting in my mum’s cupboard since I was in primary school!
The dress was based loosely on a pattern from “Stylish Dress Book.” I changed the neckline to a scoop and altered the sleeve. The pattern called for 2.5metres of fabric and it occurred to me that the suggested fabric lengths are often very conservative! I did have to amend the pattern a little to make it fit but didn’t have to make any major changes, considering how much fabric I saved.
Since sustainability was the objective, I decided to add the sleeve detail with the offcuts, to minimize wastage. I’m so glad I did because I think it gives the dress some character. I feel quite proud of my patternless adaption. It just goes to show that thinking about sustainability doesn’t hinder, but can provide some interesting design opportunities!
Unfortunately, I didn’t win but I do have a great dress that I love wearing! Plus, I learned a thing or two about sustainable sewing.
I blogged about the competition and a couple of sustainable designers here if you’re interested: http://moleskine-diary.blogspot.com/2011/05/future-fashion-now.html