Added May 10, 2014
This is a dirndl I made for my historical reenactment events.
I used Burdastyle patterns for the blouses and vest. The vest – red cotton with black lining – was the top part of a dress pattern. The form in general is the same, except that instead of inserting a zipper at the side I cut it open in the front to make it historically accurate. It closes with hooks and self-made loops. As for embellishment I added dark blue piping to give the vest some character. I used one side of decorative metal clasps to hold the blue lacing. I also like the fact that the construction lines of the vest are visible which slims the figure.
I made two blouses from the Burda pattern. One is made of white calico with a wider neckline. The more “modest” one is made of light cream muslin. I used rubber bands only under the bust. To gather the neckline and sleeves I added tunnels through which I pulled cotton string. To hide them I finished the blouses off with white lace.
To finish the whole outfit off I made a simple apron from white and blue checkered cotton. It’s finished off with matching ribbon.
The skirt was a German Ebay buy.
Vest – red cotton and viscose lining
Blouses – white calico and cream muslin
Apron – checkered cotton
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
Pull inspiration from faraway cultures with this rustic, travel-ready collection.
Fashion & Trends
Looks from Dior, Lanvin, and Balmain.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.