Added Feb 16, 2014
Looking for the easiest shirt-dress pattern…
and I think I’ve come pretty close, now that I’ve altered it to death.
Granted, the pattern is from New Look #6180 and didn’t go down to a size 6-8 (it looks pretty sacky/wacky on the model). I graded it down to a size 6 bodice, but according to my measurements it recommended a size 12-14 for the skirt. It was massive. The pleats were too large (about 8 inches of extra bulk all up) and made my rear-end look ridiculous. I also thought the collar was sitting in a very weird way towards the back of my neck, but I hadn’t yet finished the armholes and the buttons.
I put the dress aside for a week, annoyed that I’d gone to so much effort with the matching of the print and grading/altering the pattern. But after looking around for a pattern review, and some helpful advice from Manju at the blog sewmanju, I decided to pull it all apart and scale things down.
I halved the pleats, and then took at least an inch out of the side seams, probably could have taken a bit more in/or straightened the skirt out. So it’s probably more of a size 8 now. I also shortened it by 15cm or so and added some pockets to it. I actually think the collar is fine, now that it’s complete.
I think I might make another one.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.