The Peacock's Vanity Dress
Added Mar 14, 2011
by Lisette O
West Orange, New...
Simplicity 2360, of the Project Runway line. Started November of 2010, finished February 2011.
This is my favorite garment I’ve made yet. I want to wear it all the time!
NOTE: It was windy out when I took photos! So the ruffles look wonky.
Obviously, this dress took me forever to make, but to be fair I am a slow sewer and I made it twice as long and difficult by self-lining it…so I basically made two dresses. I made the size 14, and the best part was I didn’t have to shorten the bodice at all, despite my petite sizing. It is done up in 100% polyester, what I guess to be georgette? from Jo-Ann.
I made several alterations. For starters, I omitted the pockets because I was using such a light fabric. Second, I did not put elastic in the waist as I wanted to be able to play with how the dress would sit on me when tied at the waist. Judging from other people’s versions that seems to be the thing to do.
Because I made it in a sheer fabric I self-lined it. This means I made a whole second dress and then instead of using a bias tape around the neck, I sewed the two together and dropped the lining in. I think this may be why the neckline bubbles a little sometimes…it lacks stability. I may go back and add it. I did keep the bias binding on the armholes, but made it out of lime green satin. Lastly, since the sharp curve of the flounce meant that my 1/4" hem foot wasn’t grabbing the edge nicely, I hemmed it again over the previous hem. Next time I think I’ll just do it by hand though.
All in all, I totally recommend this pattern and I can’t wait to make another!