The other 1935 Linen Dress!
Added Aug 16, 2010
Here it is, the next linen dress from my “Deutsche Modenzeitung” from 1935. I’ve gotten used to grading, but this one came for Bust size 100cm, which is 12 cm (about 5 inches) too wide for me, so A LOT! The tracing-the-pattern-part and then adjusting it to my size was the most time consuming part. The actual sewing was a breeze. I only changed the length on this one, making it a touch more modern and I lowered the neck again (by about 4 cm). They would have used snap buttons instead of a zipper. Otherwise it is original. Oh, and can you believe they made the kickpleats on the skirt in the same white fabric as the rest of the skirt, as opposed to using the contrasting fabric like I did? Such a missed chance on their part, wouldn’t you say?! I really like the outcome and wore it out for dinner last night – by bike! – it proved very comfortable and I felt great in it.
Of course I am now making that jacket that goes with it.
I have added a picture of my pattern parts. Partly to show how I adjusted the pattern (the green lines are from the original tracing. Then I folded the pieces horizontally and vertically – you could also cut and overlap – then I made some additional adjustments first on the doll, then on myself via muslin, then transfered the changes to the paper pattern, all changes are in red), and partly to let you understand why I can’t so easily share these patterns. They are a huge mess once I am done with them! But I promise I am working on finding out the rights-situation and all…
100 % Linen, invisible zipper