Added Sep 17, 2013
A dress to wear to my grandparent’s 50th wedding anniversary. Originally I was going to make it from a printed poplin fabric, but it turned out I didn’t have enough so I had to go fabric shopping (darn!).
There is an invisible zip in the side seam and the neck and sleeves are finished with bias tape. The construction was relatively easy. I made a muslin first, and had to lengthen the bodice by 4cm and take in the darts in the back. Unfortunately, I forgot to reflect these changes in the skirt pattern, so I had to recalculate the pleats in the back (after a good nights sleep).
I used all kinds of techniques for finishing the seams. Pinking, seam binding, french seams. I don’t think there’s a seam that’s the same on this dress!
I finished off the hem with lace binding the morning of the party.
More info on my blog
Sewing & Techniques
Watch this free tutorial on how transform your basic skirt pattern into a flowy A-line silhouette!
Pattern of the Week
Turn down this jacket’s deep shawl collar for the illusion of a coat that slips off the shoulder!
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.