Added Aug 24, 2011
This is the fourth dress I’ve ever made and the first one I hope I can share without too much mortification. I made a few changes to the original pattern:
1) A-line skirt
2) gathered rectangle to add length (added after finishing the dress because it didn’t look right without it)
3) Cut out back with buttons
4) Lower neckline, no sleeves, bias tape (in addition to lining)
5) Additional darts for a better fit
6) That crinkly-looking bias tape is tied around my waist for lack of a belt…ahem.
This is such a fun pattern and I loved sewing this dress, but there’s a huge ‘but’ to this: The fabric, it slays me. I think dying it permanently damaged the fibres or something? Whatever it is, I can press the living daylights out of this dress and it will always look like I just pulled it out of the back of my wardrobe :)
Ikea fabric (cotton, dyed dark green), red bias tape, red zipper, two buttons
Be the face of one of our exclusive patterns on BurdaStyle.com!
Fashion & Trends
Swoon for these gorgeous dresses straight off the runway!
Member Project of the Week
See how just a piece of sheer satin transforms this beginner friendly dress!
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our wrapped and pleated mini skirt
What do you think of these summery styles?
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.