Added Nov 9, 2010
So this year, because I had so much time to prepare for an awesome Halloween party, I decided to make something worth my while, and that I could put into my portfolio. (For all the interviews I have coming up shortly….eeek!)
My character, Cheza (or otherwise known as the flower Maiden) is from the anime ’Wolf’s Rain’, which I have recently watched. (If your into anime….don’t hesitate! go watch it….it’s truly fantastic!)
Because I love costumes and dressing up, I wanted to make it as close to her costume as possible.
Firstly I drafted the pattern for the jacket, which turned out great!! I think ill actually get a lot of use for it besides along side this costume. Then I took some old Wellingtons and with newspaper covered them and drafted some pattern pieces to make boot covers (because I’m picky and I couldn’t paint them, because I wanted them to match perfectly!!!) Then once I got the fit all good and right, I hot glued them on….and may have left the gun on overnight and ruined a very nice cardigan….oops.
This was the first time id ever worked with spandex, and I’m not going to lie, it can be difficult! Although, once I got my overlocker working all nice and good, sewing it all together was probably easy in comparison to painting on all the details! I drafted the pattern myself using what we had learnt from pattern making, and thankfully it turned out alrighties!
I spent ages trying to figure out how to do the detailed lines on her costumes. The fainter ones I made panel lines and the thicker lines I painted. It took me a lot of courage to paint these details on! I bought ribbon, binding, elastic and thought long and hard about all the other possibilities. But eventually figured this was the most effective.
So….actually painting it. The majority of it I did while wearing it (heheh…ah not so fun when you need to use the bathroom…) and then using to hair dryer to dry the paint. Then my good friend was kind enough to finish off painting the back and some other details for me _
The day before the Halloween party (which was actually a belated Halloween party and held on the 6th…sadly couldn’t enter the Halloween comp tear) the major comic shop in my city held a Cosplay competition! Wooo what timing! So me and my friend had a trial run of our sweet costumes, and both won second runner ups!!
After the party, and a lot of putting the costume back together, another one of my good friends was kind enough to take some amazing photos in a flowery field near his house (oh gosh….hay fever season)
I’m holding a white flower which is meant to be a ‘Lunar Flower’, of which Cheza has been created from.
Anywho, these are pictures from my friends fantastic efforts, and also one from the party.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my detailed costuming adventure, and, of course, the final product!
Spandex, cotton drill for the jacket and boots, fabric paint fixative, felt, lots of hot glue, and a whoooole bunch of patience!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.