Added Jan 15, 2012
I printed this pattern off when the Angela Kane Pinafore pattern was first posted over a year ago. It sat there by my sewing machine for a while, then I wound up trying it out on this fabric. Kind of out there, not what I was initially thinking of using with it, but I knew I wanted a similar dress with this fabric. The fabric is a cotton twill with a bit of stretch to it. I don’t have a walking foot for my sewing machine, so it didn’t work so well for me. I lined the the arm and neck holes with single fold bias tape (cream coloured) to keep them from stretching out but even doing that, the machine pulled the fabric far too much. Also, because it is a pinafore and meant to be worn overtop of a shirt (I think), that added to the bulk that occurred on the top of the dress. I finished the arm and neck holes, tried it on, then had to take them all apart and take in the sides and top of the shoulders of the dress, and I added a couple of darts at the neck. Because of all the sewing I had done on the neck and arm holes (sewing the bias tape in place, then top stitching it) it was a lot of seam ripping and I lost motivation. It took awhile to get back to it, but I am really happy with the final product! Yea!
Oh, and I just realized this is the first dress I have made myself. Don’t know why I didn’t realize that before.
1.5m printed cotton twill with stretch, cream coloured single fold bias tape, I think it was a 16" zipper
We're wishing Meg a happy birthday with 50% off her favorite patterns.
Pattern of the Week
This boho lace top is the perfect piece to start wearing this time of year.
NEW on BurdaStyle Videos!
Becky MacKinnon will guide you through each step of sewing the stylish BurdaStyle Crossover Pant
How to Grow Your Creative Business: Expand Your Portfolio and Reach a New Market
Sashes, drape, and a wrap cardigan in mauve for pretty fall days.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.