Added Nov 27, 2012
Finally, just in time for Halloween, I finished the Elizabethan Gown.
The gown itself was made of a suiting fabric that looked and felt like a lightweight wool. It had a very full skirt (with boxed and hanging pleats) and an 8ft train. It was boned and laced closed at the front and the lacing covered with a plastron which hooked across the front and featured a beaded “necklace” detailing.
It was a race at the end to get it all done in time but so utterly worth it on the night.
This was one of the most interesting, frustrating and ultimately rewarding projects I have made and to wear it feels amazing, I can see how people get hooked on Tudor costuming!
The whole project can be seen at http://makesmemine.blogspot.co.uk/p/elizabethan-costume.html
Wool, cotton, taffeta. drill, coutil, eyelets, corset bones, laces, beads
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
Member Model Challenge
Voting had begun! Vote for your favorite dress to be the next face of a BurdaStyle.com pattern.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.