The Daisy Dress
Added Jul 12, 2010
You may recognise this dress, all those of you who are fans of the Stylish Dress Book series, and that is because in a truly unimaginative manner I made the exact cover dress on SDB 3. But I forgive myself for my lack of creativity. Firstly, because I think it was perfect as they had done it. Secondly, because all my creativity was needed in trying to understand what to do!! I am no expert when it comes to Japanese (konichiwa?!), and this has not proved a problem before, however I feel it may have speeded up the process slightly if I could have read the pattern…ah well, I finished it after a hectic weekend of sewing.
The next trial came with finding the applique daisies for the front, but of course Etsy came to the rescue and the only reason it has taken so long to finally post up pictures is due to my laziness…ahem.
The dress is pattern L in the Stylish Dress Book 3 and uses a whopping 4 metres of fabric! Actually, when I write it here it doesn’t seem that much, but it is in comparison to my 1 metre dress! There was a LOT of top stitching involved here, and I am happy to say that both the inside and out are raw-edge free. I feel there is almost nothing worse (slight exaggeration) than raw edges here, there and everywhere, so french seams and fake french seams have become my new best friends. There may even be a slightly more boring collection of photographs to follow on my blog, in order to show off my yards of neat topstitching!! haha
What particularly drew me to this pattern was the wrap detail on the back paired with a plain front. It seems opposite to usual and I rather liked it. I hope you do too!
Thanks to my brother, Sebastian, for his help with the photography.
For more from our mini photoshoot, visit my blog: iro iro
Blue cotton, applique daisies