Added Oct 27, 2012
by Scary Merry
Concord, North C...
This the final project in the Colette Sewing Handbook is the pattern initially made me decide to buy the book. I got the shell fabric (a poly charmeuseish fabric) on sale for 50% at Joann and the Lining fabric (a cotton broadcloth) in the remnant bin so I made this dress for about $10 total. Cotton broadcloth is probably not the best lining choice, but the dress looks fine (in my opinion) and I got like two yards of the stuff for $4. I am incredibly cheap.
So yeah, overall, it turned out quite nice, I think. It’s a little tight through the hips, but after making three Colette dresses, that has appeared to be a pattern. They all fit fairly nicely everywhere but the hips, so in the future I’ll have to remember to give myself a little more seam allowance when I cut out the below-the-waist pattern pieces. I love the sleeves, though, and I like how the book has you use bias tape to make the elastic casing. I will definitely be using the sleeve pattern in the future with other dress patterns when I feel like making a frankendress (which happens more often than you might think). As for the collar, it seemed intimidating to do on paper, but in practice was quite easy. You can’t really see them, but there are little tucks in the collar at the shoulder seams, so this dress basically taught me how to do tucks.
Plan a weekend getaway in these sweater dresses and furry accessories.
Member Project of the Week
Clothingengineer made a classic trench in Pantone's 2014 color of the year. Take a look!
Fashion and Trends
Check out this post all on menswear, and see how Meg was inspired to create her own men's shirts!
Learn how to set your serger up for sewing a rolled hem in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
Perfect the art of sewing collars and stands, including tricks you won't find in books or patterns!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.