Added Oct 27, 2012
by Scary Merry
Concord, North C...
This the final project in the Colette Sewing Handbook is the pattern initially made me decide to buy the book. I got the shell fabric (a poly charmeuseish fabric) on sale for 50% at Joann and the Lining fabric (a cotton broadcloth) in the remnant bin so I made this dress for about $10 total. Cotton broadcloth is probably not the best lining choice, but the dress looks fine (in my opinion) and I got like two yards of the stuff for $4. I am incredibly cheap.
So yeah, overall, it turned out quite nice, I think. It’s a little tight through the hips, but after making three Colette dresses, that has appeared to be a pattern. They all fit fairly nicely everywhere but the hips, so in the future I’ll have to remember to give myself a little more seam allowance when I cut out the below-the-waist pattern pieces. I love the sleeves, though, and I like how the book has you use bias tape to make the elastic casing. I will definitely be using the sleeve pattern in the future with other dress patterns when I feel like making a frankendress (which happens more often than you might think). As for the collar, it seemed intimidating to do on paper, but in practice was quite easy. You can’t really see them, but there are little tucks in the collar at the shoulder seams, so this dress basically taught me how to do tucks.
Exotic prints and silhouettes combine for this alluring collection
Fashion & Trends
While Sewing Their Own Halloween Costume (in GIFs!)
Member Project of the Week
Rwest1014's created this gorgeous skirt to wear Halloween after Halloween.
Comment To Win
Get your copy of BurdaStyle Modern Sewing: Wardrobe Essentials today!
RSVP for The Sewing Party and take a peek at exciting classes you won't find anywhere else.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.