Added Feb 20, 2013
I created this dress as a party, prom, or bridesmaids dress, it was a fun project but also with a lot of headache.
Here’s the summary:
- for the skirt, sash and bow, I used a poly crinkled taffeta
- for the bodice, I used black poly lace and a viscose lining
Pattern and construction:
- both bodice and skirt are self drafted, the bodice was obtained from a basic fitted bodice block, and the skirt is basically a half circle with 2 side seams
- when constructing the dress, I first lined the bodice pieces and then I treated the 2 layers (lining + lace) as one. I understitched the neckline edge, armhole edges, and back cleavage edges, to keep the lining from showing up. When sewing the darts, I also sewed through both layers as one.
- the skirt is unlined, and it is also gathered
- closure: invisible zipper on the side
- all seams are finished by serging
viscose (Bemberg rayon) lining
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.