The burgundy party dress
Added Feb 20, 2013
I created this dress as a party, prom, or bridesmaids dress, it was a fun project but also with a lot of headache.
Here’s the summary:
- for the skirt, sash and bow, I used a poly crinkled taffeta
- for the bodice, I used black poly lace and a viscose lining
Pattern and construction:
- both bodice and skirt are self drafted, the bodice was obtained from a basic fitted bodice block, and the skirt is basically a half circle with 2 side seams
- when constructing the dress, I first lined the bodice pieces and then I treated the 2 layers (lining + lace) as one. I understitched the neckline edge, armhole edges, and back cleavage edges, to keep the lining from showing up. When sewing the darts, I also sewed through both layers as one.
- the skirt is unlined, and it is also gathered
- closure: invisible zipper on the side
- all seams are finished by serging
viscose (Bemberg rayon) lining