Added Jun 10, 2013
The Bliss of Mrs Blossom
I picked up this fabric from Fabric-a-brac (blogged here) and I knew it had to become a dress! The fabric is good enough that I could have even made a jacket – but alas there was only 2 meters!
It has the biggest purple and pink blossoms and another fleur de lis (?) kinda print – I’m not sure what this might be called – let me know in the comments if you do!
The fabric could well have been a curtain off cut so it’s pretty warm and so I’m able to wear it around without a cardigan.
The pattern I used was Simplicity 7436. An a-line tent dress with V shaped yoke and front patch pockets. The V at the front is supposed to be created in 3 parts – but I wanted to make it in 2 pieces so that the pattern was continuous. It worked out but the point of the V went a little funny and so I ended up with a teeny little pleat to make it look ok
Matching the print at the seam lines was a bit tricky.
I also added long sleeves from another pattern as this one is obviously for summer as it only includes short ones
These photos were taken at the Blog Society Launch on the top of the Sydney Museum of Contemporary Art by Annette Wilson – who is an actual photographer but was kind enough to take these pics for me.
For more 60s sewing loveliness – visit my blog Sewing the 60s
Vintage fabric – no known details
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Princess Seam Top, and see how she made it into a dress!
Member Project of the Week
Kelerabeus modified our Wool Shorts pattern with adorable scalloped edges.
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our edgy, asymmetrical, paneled dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.