The 1m Dress, or, You never know until you try!
Added Mar 13, 2013
BurdaStyle Dress #110 from 03/2013.
I bought this mixed fibre 1m remnant from Fred Winter’s in Stratford on Avon last weekend, thinking it would make a fab wiggle skirt for Daughter No2’s 6th form uniform come September. Then I popped into the newsagents & picked up my March BurdaStyle mag. Change of plan! I loved the brocade dress with the ribbon detail, and decided then & there to make that dress in the plaid I’d just bought. But…..
Problem 1: I had a metre, the fabric requirements were for 1.4m. Problem 2: It is a plaid, which means pattern matching, otherwise it would look awful.
Would it make it?? I traced the pattern, in 3 different sizes, because Daughter No2 is difficult that way, and set to trying out the pattern lay. I found that if I cut the sleeves on the bias, that I’d have enough! Bonus! To top it off, when I got home after my suspect fabric shopping, I found the postie had brought me a parcel containing the most beautiful pink silk haboutai. This was part of the Swap your Stash project. I had my lining!
The dress goes together very easily, I overlocked all the edges because of the tendancy for this fabric to fray like mad, and the lining was sewn up with French seams. It is a little shorter than the original pattern, just so I could fit everything onthe the fabric I had! We left the ribbon detail off this one, as there is plenty going on with the plaid. As I had limited fabric, there wasn’t much of a hem, so I added some wide black cotton bias binding to the hem edge, and herringbone stitched it in place.I am definitely making another though, and Daughter no2 would like one version with a pegged skirt, as opposed to the A-line. So it looks like another successful pattern!
Plaid of mixed fibres, silk haboutai lining