Added Oct 17, 2010
this is the dress I made for the Princess & she asked to help design this one. I used McCalls pattern #M5850 for the bodice and used my own design for the skirt as she did not want it with too full or with too many gathers. This was the first time I used boning in a bodice, and it was pretty easy. I did not make a casing but sewed it in the seam allowance. Do any other sewers do this? I made sure I rounded the edges and sewed it so it would not poke through at the ends. I think though for next time I will make the waist band a little smaller as I went by the pattern and they are wearing belts. I used a medium hot pink cotton for the lining and some leftover fabric from my Twilight Romper for the bodice and a medium black cotton for the skirt. I used a hot pink zipper for the back and added a design detail at the back bottom of the skirt.
This was a fun & easy dress to make together and even though she hated my many fittings she liked the dress and it was comfortable for her to wear.
The results are in! Check out our winning submission.
Daydream about fall sewing with boho layers, oversized jackets, and a leopard pencil skirt.
Get 9 patterns specially picked for shorter stitchers.
Member Project of the Week
Suzeb's superhero inspired swimsuit will make you want to be a kid again!
See how Burda members are styling pants for summer.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.