Added May 31, 2010
I’ve been wanting to make the Alexander blouse since it first came out but I’ve not been entirely sure if it would be very flattering on me. When I spotted this polyester fabric going cheep I decided to give it a shot as even if it went wrong I’d not be that out of pocket. The fabric tends to fray a lot so the top is entirely done in French seams, which added a lot of time to the process but I think it was worthwhile. I modified the pattern slightly by omitting the buttons at the back and lengthening the body by about 1.5" as others have said it came out a bit short. Having done that the body is now far too long so if I make it again I’ll probably go back to the original body length but lengthen the peplum to balance out my long legs. I didn’t get the front quite right as the only covered buttons I could get were a bit on the small side, and it tends to gape so I’d normally wear it with a vest under, also my interfacing isn’t stiff enough so the collar folds over but I’ve decided I kind of like that. I’m still not sure if it’s right for me but when I wore it to work last week I got a lot of compliments so maybe I’ll try it again with some better quality fabric
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
Celebrate with lovely dresses, sparkly dolman tees, and an embellished peplum skirt.
This week’s new BurdaStyle Videos release is "Sewing a Thread-Chain Belt Loop." Check it out!
Comment to Win
Tell us what's on your wishlist to win this exciting software package!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.