Added Jul 28, 2010
I initially wanted to make a Rays dress for my high school reunion, since my class was going to attend a game. However, I wasn’t able to make it down to St. Pete for the event, but I still managed to finish a dress for a trip down.
I couldn’t find Rays fabric with the new logo, so I opted to use dark color iron-on transfers that I printed off on my computer. I think they came out pretty well!
The Sabrina pattern tricked me at first while I was constructing the bodice. Some of the terms don’t match up, but the most important thing to remember is that the PLACKET is the lining, and the YOKE is the shell. The placket is sewn onto the shell, and then is pressed to the inside of the dress and whipstitched in place.
I also opted to not sew the bottom of the pleats together at the hem. I could have, but I was short on time, and I actually didn’t like the way it looked. Unfortunately since I used such light fabric, it looks more like sewn in gores than pleats. I’m okay with this though. Next time I make this pattern, however, I will use heavier fabric.
I also found that it fits way better if you cross the straps in the back. I’m sure I could have adjusted the buttons on the bodice, but crossing them was a better and cuter solution. :)
I received TONS of compliments on the dress while I was at the game…but I don’t recommend wearing a dress at ALL to any ballgame, as it was hard to get comfortable in the seats. LOL.
Lightweight homespun cotton.
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.