Tame that chiffon!
Added Aug 23, 2011
Hamilton, New Je...
I had some beautiful sheer print fabric that I was not looking forward to working with. Then I found some woven cotton in my stash that had one of the colors in the print. I shortened my machine’s basting stitch, and sewed the uncut fabrics to each other. My goal was to baste about every 10-12", but you know, chiffon can be difficult to work with. I basted the best I could, then I cut Burda’s v-neck LBD. My objective was to change the hand of the chiffon, and to make it behave like woven cotton.
I decided the wrong side was going to be the woven cotton, which was going to function as the lining of the dress, and to give the dress some body. I sewed french seams on the wrong side. Since larger pieces of chiffon are more managable, I used an enlarged version of the back of the dress bodice as the front.
chiffon, woven cotton, zipper