Added Jun 13, 2011
by Malia J
This is my first year final dress. We were assigned themes, mine being symbiosis, and we had to then design a dress within specific requirements, like it had to have a collar and set in sleeves and a waist seem. We had to draft the entire thing from a basic block and sew it up, then present it to the class. I researched symbiosis and decided the symbiotic relationship between different sea creatures was interesting and this is the fishy design I came up with! I’m very happy with the way it turned out! It had to have a button down front, but I really wanted to include this draped skirt into the design, so I found a way to fit it in! The draped skirt actually opens up and is only attached to the one side seam, and underneath is just a straight button down skirt. The over skirt is attached over to the other side with just a simple button.
Unfortunately we had to make it in model size, so it didn’t fit me, mostly the problem was my big butt! haha So that is why I didn’t post any back views! hahaa the front fit alright though!
The over sleeve was tricky, I found a pattern making book that had an illustration similar to what I wanted to do and what I thought were instructions on how to draft it, but it turned out it was a design flaw and there were no instructions. I really like a challenge so I was determined to figure out a way to make this sleeve, and finally I did!
The last picture is my muslin, to make sure everything would work out nicely.
Pardon my messy bathroom! :P
100% linen for most of it, and for the draped parts such as the over sleeve and the over skirt are made from 100% cotton voile