Added Jan 29, 2013
Lees Summit, Mis...
I used some emerald green Swiss-dot cotton Heidi dress I purchased over the summer. Because the material was too transparent, I underlined each piece with lightweight unbleached cotton muslin. I had previously tried using cotton lawn, but the bodice really needed something to give it a little support. I really wasn’t certain which way the pleats were supposed to go on the front and back of the skirt, so I made an executive decision and pleated them opposite of the bodice pleats. Also, I moved the skirt pleats horizontally to meet up with the edge of the bodice pleats.
I had read that many people raised the neckline; I didn’t and it is fine, but I would describe myself as ‘modestly endowed’, and cut a smaller bodice size—the nested pattern looked as though length was added at the shoulder seams rather than the waist, so I can see why it might be risque. : )
I also hemmed this to right at knee length, and it looks awesome on; however, there is no ease vent at the the skirt. Walking is definitely doable; sprinting, though, not so much.
cotton swiss-dot for shell, unbleached cotton muslin for underlining, cotton voile for lining
invisible zip and rayon seam binding for hem
medium weight interfacing, embroidery floss and 3 hooks for belt
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.