Added Jan 29, 2013
Lees Summit, Mis...
I used some emerald green Swiss-dot cotton Heidi dress I purchased over the summer. Because the material was too transparent, I underlined each piece with lightweight unbleached cotton muslin. I had previously tried using cotton lawn, but the bodice really needed something to give it a little support. I really wasn’t certain which way the pleats were supposed to go on the front and back of the skirt, so I made an executive decision and pleated them opposite of the bodice pleats. Also, I moved the skirt pleats horizontally to meet up with the edge of the bodice pleats.
I had read that many people raised the neckline; I didn’t and it is fine, but I would describe myself as ‘modestly endowed’, and cut a smaller bodice size—the nested pattern looked as though length was added at the shoulder seams rather than the waist, so I can see why it might be risque. : )
I also hemmed this to right at knee length, and it looks awesome on; however, there is no ease vent at the the skirt. Walking is definitely doable; sprinting, though, not so much.
cotton swiss-dot for shell, unbleached cotton muslin for underlining, cotton voile for lining
invisible zip and rayon seam binding for hem
medium weight interfacing, embroidery floss and 3 hooks for belt
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Princess Seam Top, and see how she made it into a dress!
Member Project of the Week
Kelerabeus modified our Wool Shorts pattern with adorable scalloped edges.
Check out this step-by-step on sewing our edgy, asymmetrical, paneled dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.