Added Feb 12, 2011
Patterns I Used: McCall’s 4696, McCall’s 5499 & Simplicity 4923
Total Cost: Only around $18. This one was an economical one.
I made two pieces – a top and a seperate skirt. I did minor alterations to the top; such as actually sewing the sleeves to the bodice and sewing closed the sides of the bodice, instead of using grommets.
For the skirt, I used a princess seam dress pattern and I cut the bodice off. I made the waist high enough to account for the length of the top, and I made a waistband out of Quilt Binding. I also made two suspender-style straps from the same Quilt Binding to keep the skirt from slipping down.
In the movie Prince Caspian, there’s this daffodil-shaped inlay on the bodice of the dress; and it appears to consist of facings and an inner layer of a carmel colored fabric. Well, that was a lot to deal with; so instead I used fusible web. I took a picture of the design from the movie, traced the daffodils out on my computer, printed it, applied it to the bodice of my costume and embroidered around it. Yes, I embroidered around it by hand… (by the time I finished, my fingers were numb and bleeding) using a chain-stitch and 3 strands of embroidery floss.
For the back lacing on the bodice, I used a grommet-punch to create nine holes on each back edge. I treated the holes with Fray Check and then I hand embroidered around each one with a satin stitch to keep it from raveling.
I played with the fabrics a little bit and didn’t stick religiously to the movie materials. It is, after all a costume. =)
For the bodice I used a plum colored, striped silk that I found in the Clearance Home Decor section of Joann Fabrics. For the sleeves, peplums and skirt I used an unusual light-weight cottony material that had somewhat of a tie-dyed effect, which I found at a local Fabric store. I hand-drew the stripes on the sleeves and peplums with a permenant marker, but wimped out when I got to the skirt, so I decided to leave it stripe-less. The light blue sleeve & skirt insertions are made of a satiny/silky material with slubs in it that my Mom had saved in her fabric stash.
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.