Added Jan 30, 2011
I recently moved to Australia and fairly quickly figured out I needed a new summer wardrobe (it can get sooooo hot over here). I decided to make a maxi dress, because when you are as tall as I am (1m88 or 6’2’’) you simply can’t buy any long enough in the stores.
For the pattern I traced a dress I already had. The skirt part is just a big rectangle, with shirring in the back. It was the first time I tried shirring and I had some problems with it. Somehow there wasn’t enough tension on the elastic that I wound on the bobbin, so I had to pull the elastic tighter after sewing it. If anyone has any hints on how to get this right, please let me know.
The fabric was from IKEA. I really really tried to avoid going to IKEA AGAIN, but I just really like their big prints and I think big prints really work well on big dresses. Anyhoo, the fabric was on sale, so all in all this dress cost me 7 dollars and 4-5 hours of sewing. Quite a bargain!
Cotton from IKEA
One of the most beloved American designers passed last night. We look back at a few of his designs.
Fashion & Trends
Shop top selling silk patterns, just in time for Thursday's web seminar.
Dress up outerwear with deep shawl collars and sew up a lovely fitted dress with a flounced hemline.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
See one of the techniques you'll learn in November's Fabric Design course.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.