Added Sep 4, 2010
I found this gorgeous light yellow cotton-eyelet fabric on sale at Fabricland for 70% off back in the spring, but it sat in my fabric pile for a few months until I decided what to make from it. I was originally intending to make a JJ blouse from it, but after another fateful trip to the local thrift store I found a gem of a pattern (Simplicity 9872 circa 1980) and decided it would be perfect for this pretty fabric.
This top was nearly a Fail, since I totally blanked out when cutting out the fabric and cut 2 right sleeves!!!! Arg!!!! I had to go back to Fabricland and luckily there was a teeny tiny bit of the fabric left in the remnant bin. So I ended up buying the last of it, although not nearly as good of a deal when I purchased the original amount of fabric. Hopefully I will learn from this mistake – I was so mad at myself that I paced around the house swearing like a sailor!
Since the fabric is so thin, I decided to use French Seams (first time ever!) rather than my serger. I think it turned out pretty well in the end, despite my typical scatterbrained screwups! :P
More details at my blog
(I hope you enjoy the last photo where I was swatting away a swarm of gnats that were trying to fly up my nose – I certainly had a laugh when I saw the photos!)
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.